Location: #20, 9912 106 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5K 1C5
You are about to embark on one of the most significant milestones in your life: marriage. You and your partner are in love and busy planning for your big day. You are both probably feeling excited, proud, and even a bit nervous. But what happens after the wedding day is even more critical than saying “I do.”
Relationships are challenging, often filled with unexpected emotional events and conflict. And since no two people are exactly the same, you will likely deal with these situations in different ways. Through the Marriage Preparation Workshop, we can help you prepare for this deep and meaningful commitment to give you a better chance of long-term success. We want you to be strong and healthy together, well after the honeymoon is over.
Who can attend?
- Any couple about to get married. Both partners must attend.
- This non-denominational workshop may qualify as the mandatory course for couples getting married in a church. Please confirm with your church or religious leader first.
- Children cannot attend our workshops. Our workshops are intended for adults and we do not offer childcare.
What will you learn?
You will build skills for a strong and healthy relationship by understanding:
- What to expect from each other
- How to better communicate
- Effective ways to solve problems and resolve conflict
- Why individual family origins are important
- How to relate to your in-laws
- Sexuality and intimacy
- Ways to manage your money
- Children and parenting
By the end of the session, you and your partner will feel more comfortable:
- Communicating, resolving conflict, setting boundaries, and asserting your beliefs in a respectful way
- Sharing your most important concerns with each other
- Identifying personal traits to address specific issues, such as positive self-esteem, healthy boundaries, stress management, emotional triggers
- Solving day-to-day problems and challenges
How will you learn?
At The Family Centre, we believe in continually adapting our programs based on the latest thinking and research. Our workshop instructors work with couples on a daily basis and see first-hand the typical relationship challenges, and successful ways to build a healthy and nurturing marriage. Our teaching style is highly interactive so you will have many opportunities to ask questions, learn about yourself and your partner, hear others’ experiences, and practise new skills.
When and where is it offered?
- This 10-hour workshop is offered 14 times per year at our offices at 9912-106 Street
- Each group workshop has a maximum of 7 couples (14 total participants)
- Workshops are Fridays from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- For couples who want to book a private session, please contact us to arrange a date and time
How much does it cost?
Group workshops (7 couple limit): $200 per couple
Individual sessions (only you and your partner): $325 per couple
The Family Centre is dedicated to supporting families of all income levels. If cost is a barrier to you attending this workshop, you can apply for subsidy by selecting “I require subsidy” in the workshop registration form.
Subsidies are available for group workshops only. Subsidies are based on your household income.
What is the difference between a group workshop and private workshop?
A group workshop is 10 hours long with up to 14 participants and a facilitator. This learning environment is interactive and will provide opportunities to hear and share various experiences and perspectives.
A private workshop covers the same content as a group session, but it is 3 hours one-on-one with a facilitator. These 3 hours can be scheduled in one appointment, or split into two 90-minute appointments. This learning environment will focus more on how the information is relevant to your personal experiences. Please note that subsidies are not available for private workshops.
Do I need to bring anything to the workshop?
You will receive a participant booklet when you arrive. Please bring a pen.
We also provide coffee, tea, and water. If your workshop runs on a Saturday, you can bring lunch with you or go to a nearby shop or restaurant during a lunch break.
What do I get after I complete the workshop?
You will receive a certificate of completion after you have completed the entire course.
Are workshops the same thing as group therapy?
No. Our workshops are psycho-educational, meaning we focus on providing you with information and tools to help you with communication or parenting. Group therapy is focused more on thoughts, feelings, and the healing process.
Can I claim the workshop with my benefits or insurance plan?
No, because our workshops are educational and not equivalent to psychological therapy or counselling.
What is your cancellation policy?
To receive a full refund, we require 72 hours’ notice. You will receive a 50% refund with less than 72 hours’ notice. Cancel or reschedule your registration on our website or call 780.497.7536.
“The Marriage Preparation class helped us learn how to be a strong couple, no matter what life throws at us.”
"It was a great workshop and very informative. I believe it should be mandated before any marriage. Thanks for great experience."
"I was very hesitant to come and I was surprised by how much I learned. The facilitator was fantastic and I would highly recommend her to anyone. This was a very positive experience."
Register By: April 5, 2019
Tue, Apr 9, 2019: 6.00pm - 8.15pm
Thu, Apr 11, 2019: 6.00pm - 8.15pm
Tue, Apr 16, 2019: 6.00pm - 8.15pm
Thu, Apr 18, 2019: 6.00pm - 8.15pm
Register By: May 1, 2019
Fri, May 3, 2019: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, May 4, 2019: 9.00am - 4.00pm
Register By: May 29, 2019
Fri, May 31, 2019: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, Jun 1, 2019: 9.00am - 4.00pm
Register By: July 10, 2019
Fri, Jul 12, 2019: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, Jul 13, 2019: 9.00am - 4.00pm
Register By: August 14, 2019
Fri, Aug 16, 2019: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, Aug 17, 2019: 9.00am - 4.00pm