Family preservation services work in collaboration with parents, youth, and Child and Family Services to determine what support children and parents need for a strong and healthy family. Our goal is to promote long-term family stability, within the family unit as well as the broader community. This means children and family members are safe and healthy, have positive relationships with loved ones, and are given a voice in decisions affecting their future.
If a child is at risk of going into government care, The Family Centre strongly supports keeping children with their immediate family, when it is safe to do so. If that is not possible, we make every effort to ensure they are placed with a relative and/or have regular and ongoing access to the people they love.
Reunification with parents is a priority, however in these circumstances, we believe keeping children in their community and schools is critical for reducing the trauma and ensuring children maintain relationships with significant people in their lives such as friends, teachers, neighbours, and kin. We also help families connect to community resources so they can be supported in times of need, now and in the future.
Who can access this service?
- Our family preservation services are only for those families residing in the North Central and East areas of Edmonton that are involved with Child and Family Services
- All referrals come through Edmonton Region Child and Family Services (Region 6), North Central and East Neighbourhood Centres
How does the service work?
Families are matched with a family intervention generalist (FIG), who supports them throughout their involvement with Child and Family Services. FIG’s work with families, The Family Centre’s resources, and community members and organizations to meet the family’s long-term objectives, as agreed-upon with Child and Family Services.
Because each family is different, there is no pre-determined program or path that families must follow. The service is flexible, using many different services to meet a family’s specific needs as they transition through phases to achieve their objectives.
Services may include:
- Developing goals with parents, youth, and children to maintain safety and enhance family wellbeing
- Working collaboratively with Child and Family Services to support the family and determine objectives that address issues of abuse and neglect
- Building positive relationships with and supporting families to move through change
- Coordinating service delivery through The Family Centre resources and community supports (e.g., therapy and counselling)
- Communicating with family preservation team members, and formally tracking progress
- Assessing and reporting ongoing risk for all children and families receiving services
- Providing 24/7 on-call resources to ensure families are supported quickly and effectively during times of crisis
When and where is it offered?
- Services take place in a variety of community locations
How can I find out more?
To find out more about this program or to discuss a referral, please contact:
Aubrey Watson, Family Preservation Manager
Phone: 780.423.2831 ext. 644