Parenting Toddlers & Preschoolers
Location: #20, 9912 106 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5K 1C5
Registration for the Parenting Toddlers & Preschoolers workshop will be open on November 1 for the 2019 dates.
As a parent of a child under five, every day is an exciting challenge full of surprises. You never really know what to expect next when it comes to things like language, learning, physical activity, or potty training. And then there are those frustrating temper tantrums that seem to flare up out of nowhere!
You want your child to grow up to be successful and kind-hearted but sometimes it’s hard to know if you are helping or hindering their progress. At times, you may feel like nothing you do as a parent is working.
The Parenting Toddlers and Preschoolers workshop helps take some of the guesswork out of parenting by helping you better understand why children behave the way they do at this age. We’ll offer positive strategies to help you guide your children’s behaviour and provide a nurturing home, while you take care of yourself.
Who can attend?
- Any parent or guardian who is parenting a child between 18 months and five years old.
- Families interested in establishing positive parenting practices or addressing misbehaviour in toddlers or preschoolers.
- Children cannot attend our workshops. Our workshops are intended for adults and we do not offer childcare.
What will you learn?
You will build skills for parenting toddlers and preschoolers by understanding:
- What to expect as your child develops
- Your parenting style and how it affects your child
- Why children behave the way they do
- How to positively guide behaviours
- What bonding is and why it’s important
- How ‘play’ helps develop physical, intellectual, and social skills
- How to encourage confidence
- How to better communicate with children
- How to deal with misbehaviour and tantrums
- How to potty train
- How to care for yourself
By the end of the session, you will feel more comfortable:
- Creating effective parenting strategies and giving positive feedback
- Addressing misbehaviour or other issues
- Setting boundaries, limits, and guidelines
- Communicating with your child or children
- Providing a nurturing home environment
- Minimizing the negative effects of divorce or separation (if applicable), and
- Solving day-to-day problems and challenges
How will you learn?
At The Family Centre, we believe in continually adapting our programs based on the latest thinking and research. Our workshop instructors work with parents on a daily basis and see first-hand the typical parenting challenges. Our teaching style is highly interactive so you will have many opportunities to ask questions and learn about yourself, your child, and your family. You will also hear others’ experiences and practise new skills.
When and where is it offered?
- This 10-hour workshop is offered 4 times per year at our offices at 9912-106 Street
- Each group workshop has a maximum of 14 participants
- Workshops are Fridays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- For individuals or couples who want to book a three-hour private session, please contact us to arrange a date and time.
How much does it cost?
Group workshops (14-person limit): $200 per couple or $150 per individual
Three-hour Individual sessions: $325
The Family Centre is dedicated to supporting families of all income levels. If cost is a barrier to you attending this workshop, you can apply for subsidy by selecting “I require subsidy” in the workshop registration form.
Subsidies are available for group workshops only. Subsidies are based on your household income.
What is the difference between a group workshop and private workshop?
A group workshop is 10 hours long with up to 14 participants and a facilitator. This learning environment is interactive and will provide opportunities to hear and share various experiences and perspectives.
A private workshop covers the same content as a group session, but it is 3 hours one-on-one with a facilitator. These 3 hours can be scheduled in one appointment, or split into two 90-minute appointments. This learning environment will focus more on how the information is relevant to your personal experiences. Please note that subsidies are not available for private workshops.
Do I need to bring anything to the workshop?
You will receive a participant booklet when you arrive. Please bring a pen.
We also provide coffee, tea, and water. If your workshop runs on a Saturday, you can bring lunch with you or go to a nearby shop or restaurant during a lunch break.
What do I get after I complete the workshop?
You will receive a certificate of completion after you have completed the entire course.
Are workshops the same thing as group therapy?
No. Our workshops are psycho-educational, meaning we focus on providing you with information and tools to help you with communication or parenting. Group therapy is focused more on thoughts, feelings, and the healing process.
Can I claim the workshop with my benefits or insurance plan?
No, because our workshops are educational and not equivalent to psychological therapy or counselling.
What is your cancellation policy?
To receive a full refund, we require 72 hours’ notice. You will receive a 50% refund with less than 72 hours’ notice. Cancel or reschedule your registration on our website or call 780.497.7536.
"Very helpful workshop, I highly recommend it."