Parenting in Blended Families
Location: #20, 9912 106 Street, Edmonton, AB T5K 1C5
Blended or step-families are more common than ever as people with children connect with new partners after divorce or separation. These families come in all shapes and sizes; one or both parents may have children, and they may decide to have children together.
Blended families will likely face far more challenges than you’d ever imagined. Whether it’s complicated schedules, sibling conflicts, parenting styles, or issues with ex-partners, your new life will be complex and sometimes frustrating. Yet it will also be highly rewarding once you get over the ‘bumps.’
One thing is certain—you have to work hard in a blended family to build lasting relationships based on love and trust. The Parenting in Blended Families workshop will help you understand the roles of the natural and step-parents as well as your children’s responses to the breakups of prior relationships. We’ll help you develop strategies for a more positive and healthy home together.
Who can attend?
- Any parent or guardian who is parenting as part of a blended or step-family
- Blended families interested in establishing positive parenting practices or addressing conflict
What will you learn?
You will build skills for parenting children from different families by understanding:
- How step-families develop
- Your children’s response to separation and divorce
- How to create parenting plans and discipline in blended families
- The role of the natural parent
- The role of the step-parent
- How to communicate with co-parents, and
- How to deal with conflict
By the end of the session, you will feel more comfortable:
- Creating effective parenting strategies and giving positive feedback
- Addressing misbehaviour or other issues
- Setting boundaries, limits, and guidelines
- Communicating with your child or children
- Providing a nurturing home environment
- Minimizing the negative effects of divorce or separation (if applicable), and
- Solving day-to-day problems and challenges
How will you learn?
At The Family Centre, we believe in continually adapting our programs based on the latest thinking and research. Our workshop instructors work with parents on a daily basis and see first-hand the typical parenting challenges. Our teaching style is highly interactive so you will have many opportunities to ask questions and learn about yourself, your child, and your family. You will also hear others’ experiences and practise new skills.
When and where is it offered?
- This 10-hour workshop is offered 3 times per year at our offices at 9912-106 Street
- Each group workshop has a maximum of 14 participants
- Workshops are Fridays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- For individuals or couples who want to book a three-hour private session, please contact us to arrange a date and time
How much does it cost?
Group workshops (14-person limit): $200 per couple or $150 per individual
Individual sessions: $325
The Family Centre is dedicated to supporting families of all income levels. If you are unable to afford the cost of this workshop, please contact us about financial subsidies.
“Having a blended family can be complex but so rewarding. There’s more love and people to guide our children. Through this workshop, we learned that we should seek to understand, be empathetic with our partners and children, and not take ourselves too seriously!”
"Great presenter! Nice to have someone with real-life experience in the subject matter."
Register By: April 11, 2018
Fri, Apr 13, 2018: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, Apr 14, 2018: 9.00am - 4.00pm