Parenting After Separation

Parenting After Separation


Location: #20, 9912 106 Street NW, Edmonton, AB T5K 1C5

Parenting After Separation (PAS) is a six-hour course to help parents to make positive choices about how they will continue to parent their children after separation.

PAS is mandated by Alberta Justice for separating or divorcing parents with children under 16 years of age.

What will you learn?

PAS provides you with the tools to:

  • Understand your children’s needs and help them through the divorce or separation
  • Maintain a positive relationship with your children
  • Understand the emotional, financial, and legal implications of parenting apart
  • Prepare a parenting plan
  • Seek alternative dispute resolutions such as mediation and collaborative law

When and where is it offered?

  • We offer PAS as an in-person workshop. Alberta Resolution and Court Administration Services offers PAS as an online course.
  • Parenting After Separation is offered at our offices at 9912 – 106 Street
  • You can either take the class Monday and Thursday, 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm OR on Saturday, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

How much does it cost?

PAS is a free course. It is funded by the Government of Alberta.

How do I register?

You can register on our website or by calling us at 780.413.9805.

What if I need to cancel or reschedule the course?

You can cancel or reschedule your registration on our website, by sending an email to or by calling 780.413.9805.

Can I attend PAS with my ex-partner?

No. To ensure the safety and comfort of all participants, separating or divorcing parents are not permitted to attend the same session. There are no exceptions. Ex-partners must register in different sessions (you will be asked for your partner’s name when registering).

Do I have to take both nights in the same week?

It is preferred that you would take both nights in the same week, but you don’t need to.  The information presented in the Monday evening session is considered to be part 1, so you should take it before a Thursday evening session. 

Do I need to bring anything to the course?

You will receive a participant manual when you arrive. Please bring a pen. 

Can I bring my children?

No, children are not allowed at the course, and we do not offer childcare.

Can I bring a support person?

Yes, but the support person must also register for the course.

Can I take the course online instead of coming in person?

Yes. Parenting After Separation is also offered as an online by Alberta Resolution and Court Administration Services.

What do I get after I complete the course?

When you have attended the entire six-hour course, you will receive a certificate of completion by email.

How do I replace a lost certificate?

Certificates are sent by email. If you have misplaced it, please email us at for a new certificate.

We are only able to replace your certificate if you took the course in-person in Edmonton.

If you took the PAS online, please contact Alberta Resolution and Court Administration Services directly at, or submit a question through their website.

What’s the difference between Parenting After Separation, Parenting After Separation for Families in High Conflict, and Focus on Communication in Separation?

Parenting After Separation is for all parents going through a divorce or separation.

Parenting After Separation High Conflict is a course available to all parents who have already completed the Parenting After Separation course and are experiencing more intense, long-lasting conflict during their separation.

In the Focus on Communication in Separation workshop, you will learn how to communicate effectively while parenting apart.