Women & Anger
Location: #20, 9912 106 Street, Edmonton, AB T5K 1C5
Anger is a natural emotion you experience when something doesn’t go as planned or someone contradicts what you think is “right.” People of all ages and personalities experience anger but how we respond to it varies greatly from person to person. There are also many emotions associated with anger that range from mild frustration to full-blown rage.
When anger becomes an issue, you may find yourself holding in negative thoughts, taking your negativity out on others, and in some cases, even acting impulsively or doing something you are ashamed of. For women, you may have challenges setting boundaries in relationships, which may contribute to your angry feelings. This is when you need strategies to effectively express your anger. The Women and Anger Workshop provides hands-on ways to deal with anger so you can have positive relationships and address conflict in a positive and healthy way.
Who can attend?
- Any woman over the age of 18 who wants to learn more about healthy ways to express anger and resolve conflict.
- Children cannot attend our workshops. Our workshops are intended for adults and we do not offer childcare.
What will you learn?
You will learn how to address anger as a normal, healthy emotion by understanding:
- The underlying emotions connected with anger in women
- Your own triggers for anger
- Effective ways to deal with and express anger
- Ways to set healthy boundaries in relationships
- How to manage stress
- How to effectively communicate and resolve conflict
- Why self-esteem/self-worth affect anger
By the end of the session, you will feel more comfortable:
- Communicating, resolving conflict, setting boundaries, and asserting yourself
- Sharing your most important concerns with others
- Identifying personal traits to address specific issues, such as positive self-esteem, healthy boundaries, stress management, and emotional triggers
- Solving day-to-day problems and challenges
How will you learn?
At The Family Centre, we believe in continually adapting our programs based on the latest thinking and research. Our workshop instructors work with clients on a daily basis and see first-hand the typical challenges women face. The workshops are highly interactive so you will have many opportunities to ask questions, learn about yourself, hear others’ experiences, and practise new skills.
When and where is it offered?
- This 10-hour workshop is offered 7 times per year at our offices at 9912-106 Street
- Each group workshop has a maximum of 14 participants
- Workshops are Fridays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- For those who want to book a three-hour private session, please contact us to arrange a date and time
How much does it cost?
Group workshops: $150 per person
3-hour individual sessions: $325 per person
The Family Centre is dedicated to supporting families of all income levels. If cost is a barrier to you attending this workshop, you can apply for subsidy by selecting “I require subsidy” in the workshop registration form.
Subsidies are available for group workshops only. Subsidies are based on your household income.
What is the difference between a group workshop and private workshop?
A group workshop is 10 hours long with up to 14 participants and a facilitator. This learning environment is interactive and will provide opportunities to hear and share various experiences and perspectives.
A private workshop covers the same content as a group session, but it is 3 hours one-on-one with a facilitator. These 3 hours can be scheduled in one appointment, or split into two 90-minute appointments. This learning environment will focus more on how the information is relevant to your personal experiences. Please note that subsidies are not available for private workshops.
Do I need to bring anything to the workshop?
You will receive a participant booklet when you arrive. Please bring a pen.
We also provide coffee, tea, and water. If your workshop runs on a Saturday, you can bring lunch with you or go to a nearby shop or restaurant during a lunch break.
What do I get after I complete the workshop?
You will receive a certificate of completion after you have completed the entire course.
Are workshops the same thing as group therapy?
No. Our workshops are psycho-educational, meaning we focus on providing you with information and tools to help you with communication or parenting. Group therapy is focused more on thoughts, feelings, and the healing process.
Can I claim the workshop with my benefits or insurance plan?
No, because our workshops are educational and not equivalent to psychological therapy or counselling.
What is your cancellation policy?
To receive a full refund, we require 72 hours’ notice. You will receive a 50% refund with less than 72 hours’ notice. Cancel or reschedule your registration on our website or call 780.497.7536.
"I would recommend this workshop to all women."
"The facilitator was well-spoken, understanding, and patient with everyone."
" This workshop was super helpful. The environment was very friendly and comfortable."
Register By: February 20, 2019
Fri, Feb 22, 2019: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, Feb 23, 2019: 9.00am - 4.00pm
Register By: March 20, 2019
Fri, Mar 22, 2019: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, Mar 23, 2019: 9.00am - 4.00pm
Register By: April 24, 2019
Fri, Apr 26, 2019: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, Apr 27, 2019: 9.00am - 4.00pm
Register By: May 22, 2019
Fri, May 24, 2019: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, May 25, 2019: 9.00am - 4.00pm
Register By: June 12, 2019
Fri, Jun 14, 2019: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, Jun 15, 2019: 9.00am - 4.00pm