Positive Parenting Strategies
Location: #20 9912 106 Street, Edmonton
No one said parenting was easy. Children of all ages have their own unique personalities and characteristics. They know how to make you proud and they also learn very quickly what buttons to push to make you angry or pay attention. Misbehaviour is a normal part of child development. But when your children act out, you may get frustrated and upset because nothing you do or say works.
Contrary to most jobs we have in life, parenting doesn’t come with an instruction manual. And since no two children nor parents are the same, every family is bound to face challenges. Positive Parenting Strategies provides parenting ideas that address misbehaviour and allow your child to grow and develop in a healthy way. We want you to help your child achieve their potential while still caring for yourself in the process.
Who can attend?
- Any parent, grandparent, or guardian who plays a role in parenting toddlers or school-age children
- Anyone interested in establishing positive parenting practices or addressing misbehaviour
What will you learn?
You will build skills for managing your child’s or children’s challenging behaviours by understanding:
- Your own parenting and family style
- How attachment affects how you interact with each other
- Why children behave as they do
- What leads to misbehaviour and how to identify it
- How to address persistent misbehaviour
- Why routines, structure, and setting limits are important
- How to better communicate with children
- What triggers your own anger, and
- How to care for yourself
By the end of the session, you will feel more comfortable:
- Creating effective parenting strategies and giving positive feedback
- Addressing misbehaviour or other issues
- Setting boundaries, limits, and guidelines
- Communicating with your child or children
- Providing a nurturing home environment
- Minimizing the negative effects of divorce or separation (if applicable), and
- Solving day-to-day problems and challenges
How will you learn?
At The Family Centre, we believe in continually adapting our programs based on the latest thinking and research. Our workshop instructors work with parents on a daily basis and see first-hand the typical parenting challenges. Our teaching style is highly interactive so you will have many opportunities to ask questions and learn about yourself, your child, and your family. You will also hear others’ experiences and practise new skills.
When and where is it offered?
- This 10-hour workshop is offered 14 times per year at our offices at 9912-106 Street
- Each group workshop has a maximum of 14 participants
- Workshops are Fridays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- For individuals or couples who want to book a three-hour private session, please contact us to arrange a date and time.
How much does it cost?
Group workshops (14-person limit): $200 per couple or $150 per individual
Individual sessions: $325
The Family Centre is dedicated to supporting families of all income levels. If you are unable to afford the cost of this workshop, please contact us about financial subsidies.
"Positive atmosphere, including humor. Great information."