The Family Centre
Location: #20 9912 106 Street NW, Edmonton
When you first fall in love, communicating seems so easy. You talk to each other frequently, listen with genuine interest, and make an extra effort to help the other person feel special. You may even overlook your differences and forgive small mistakes easily.
Then real life starts to get in the way. After the “getting to know you” period has passed, many couples experience challenges as you learn to live together in a world full of distractions and complications. You may feel hurt by something your partner did or you may accidentally hurt them. You both may be so busy with professional and personal activities that you forget to spend time focusing on each other.
The Family Centre’s Couples Communication workshop helps you understand your communication styles and patterns so you can recognize what needs to change for a successful relationship. You will learn how to appreciate your partner and get through a disagreement so you still love each other at the end of it.
Who can attend?
Any couple that is experiencing difficulty communicating or has a desire to build a stronger relationship. Both partners must attend
What will you learn?
You will build skills for a strong and healthy relationship by understanding:
- Barriers to communicating effectively
- How to better communicate through active listening
- Effective ways to solve problems and resolve conflict
- How to repair hurt and build trust and
- The five love languages (touch, gifts, acts of services, quality time, affirmation)
By the end of the session, you and your partner will feel more comfortable:
- Communicating, resolving conflict, setting boundaries, and asserting your beliefs in a respectful way
- Sharing your most important concerns with each other
- Identifying personal traits to address specific issues, such as positive self-esteem, healthy boundaries, stress management, emotional triggers
- Solving day-to-day problems and challenges
How will you learn?
At The Family Centre, we believe in continually adapting our programs based on the latest thinking and research. Our workshop instructors work with clients on a daily basis and see first-hand the typical challenges in relationships. The workshops are highly interactive so you will have many opportunities to ask questions, learn about yourself and your partner, hear others’ experiences, and practise new skills.
When and where is it offered?
- This 10-hour workshop is offered 4 times per year at our offices at 9912-106 Street
- Each group workshop has a maximum of 7 couples (14 total participants)
- Workshops are Fridays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- For couples who want to book a three-hour private session, please contact us to arrange a date and time
"The facilitator made me feel safe and comfortable to be open and honest."
"I liked the content, the way it was structured, and the time allotted to exercises and group discussion."
"Great workshop! The presenter was very compassionate. She maintained a positive atmosphere, let people talk, but also kept things on track and on time."
“We learned how to use our words more effectively instead of arguing… And that listening and understanding does not always require agreement or obedience.”
How much does it cost?
Group workshops (7-couple limit): $200 per couple
3-hour individual sessions (only you and your partner): $325 per couple
The Family Centre is dedicated to supporting families of all income levels. If you are unable to afford the cost of this workshop, please contact us about financial subsidies.
Register By: July 12, 2017
Fri, Jul 14, 2017: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, Jul 15, 2017: 9.00am - 4.00pm
Register By: September 13, 2017
Fri, Sep 15, 2017: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, Sep 16, 2017: 9.00am - 4.00pm
Register By: December 6, 2017
Fri, Dec 8, 2017: 6.30pm - 9.30pm
Sat, Dec 9, 2017: 9.00am - 4.00pm