The Family Centre
Location: #20, 9912 106 Street, Edmonton, AB T5K 1C5
Divorce is an emotional and challenging experience. So when you find someone new that you want to spend the rest of your life with, you may be excited and eager to move forward. One or both of you may be cautious, trying hard to avoid prior mistakes, or lacking in self-confidence.
New relationships are influenced by previous experiences and sometimes can be more complicated because there are often more relationships to manage: ex-spouses, step-children, in-laws, and friends.
Only time and strong communication with each other will help strengthen your bond as a couple. The Family Centre can prepare you for your second marriage and give you a better chance at long-term success. We want you to go into this important commitment with a positive attitude, realistic expectations, and hope for the future.
Who can attend?
- Any couple about to get married for the second time. (One or both partners must have been married before.) Both partners must attend.
- Children cannot attend our workshops. Our workshops are intended for adults and we do no offer childcare.
What will you learn?
You will build skills for a strong and healthy relationship by understanding:
- What you can learn from prior relationships
- How to adjust to a blended family
- Why individual family origins are important
- How to better communicate
- Effective ways to solve problems and resolve conflict and
By the end of the session, you and your partner will feel more comfortable:
- Communicating, resolving conflict, setting boundaries, and asserting your beliefs in a respectful way
- Sharing your most important concerns with each other
- Identifying personal traits to address specific issues, such as positive self-esteem, healthy boundaries, stress management, emotional triggers
- Solving day-to-day problems and challenges
How will you learn?
At The Family Centre, we believe in continually adapting our programs based on the latest thinking and research. Our workshop instructors work with clients on a daily basis and see first-hand the typical challenges in a marriage. These private sessions are highly interactive so you will have many opportunities to ask questions, learn about yourself and your partner, and practise new skills.
When and where is it offered?
- This three-hour workshop is by appointment only and is held at our offices at 9912-106 Street
- Please contact us to arrange a date and time
How much does it cost?
3-hour individual sessions only: $325 per couple
The Family Centre is dedicated to supporting families of all income levels. If cost is a barrier to you attending this workshop, you can apply for subsidy by selecting “I require subsidy” in the workshop registration form.
Subsidies are available for group workshops only. Subsidies are based on your household income.
What is the difference between a group workshop and private workshop?
A group workshop is 10 hours long with up to 14 participants and a facilitator. This learning environment is interactive and will provide opportunities to hear and share various experiences and perspectives.
A private workshop covers the same content as a group session, but it is 3 hours one-on-one with a facilitator. These 3 hours can be scheduled in one appointment, or split into two 90-minute appointments. This learning environment will focus more on how the information is relevant to your personal experiences. Please note that subsidies are not available for private workshops.
Do I need to bring anything to the workshop?
You will receive a participant booklet when you arrive. Please bring a pen.
We also provide coffee, tea, and water. If your workshop runs on a Saturday, you can bring lunch with you or go to a nearby shop or restaurant during a lunch break.
What do I get after I complete the workshop?
You will receive a certificate of completion after you have completed the entire course.
Are workshops the same thing as group therapy?
No. Our workshops are psycho-educational, meaning we focus on providing you with information and tools to help you with communication or parenting. Group therapy is focused more on thoughts, feelings, and the healing process.
Can I claim the workshop with my benefits or insurance plan?
No, because our workshops are educational and not equivalent to psychological therapy or counselling.
What is your cancellation policy?
To receive a full refund, we require 72 hours’ notice. You will receive a 50% refund with less than 72 hours’ notice. Cancel or reschedule your registration on our website or call 780.497.7536.