Therapy & Counselling
At some point in your life, you may be faced with a problem that you don’t know how to solve. Up to this point, you’ve probably dealt with issues on your own or with the help of those close to you. Has anyone ever told you that it’s OK to ask for help?
At The Family Centre, we can help. We may not have all the answers, but our therapists and counsellors can help you understand your situation better and figure out ways to move successfully through it. We have experience in a broad range of issues and our therapists and counsellors are all trained in helping people get through trauma. We focus on the future rather than dwelling on the past.
With a little support, you will build awareness, understanding, knowledge, skills, and perspectives to raise healthy children, build strong relationships, heal from trauma, and navigate through change. Going to therapy or counselling is a big step, and booking a session for the first time is often the most difficult part. Often, one session may be enough to help you think more clearly and work through your own solution when you are stuck.
What type of counselling is available?
The Family Centre offers the following forms of therapy and counselling:
- One-on-one ongoing sessions to meet your specific needs
- Free single-session drop-in counselling
- Strive (men’s group counselling)
- Healthy Relationships (women’s group counselling)
- Counsellors at schools (community-based family therapy)
- Critical incident response
We provide counselling for a wide range of topics including:
- Relationship challenges, including separation and divorce
- Stress and anxiety
- Grief, separation, and loss
- Parenting challenges and conflict
- Child and adolescent development and behaviour
- Domestic abuse prevention
- Trauma and change
- Sexual orientation and gender identity
- Sexual abuse
- Sexuality and/or intimacy
- Anger problems
- Health issues
- Personal growth
- Adjusting to life in Canada
Who can attend?
- Anyone over age 18 can sign up for therapy and counselling
- Children can attend with their parents’ consent
- Parents must attend a session first before bringing their children
When and where is it offered?
- Therapy and counselling services take place at our offices at #20, 9912-106 Street, Edmonton
- Please contact us to arrange a date and time
How much does it cost?
- $180 per hour*
- You may be eligible to claim services through your extended health benefits or your employee assistance program, if you have them; please check with your provider
*Subsidized counselling is available. We use a sliding-scale fee system based on your annual gross family income to determine your eligibility. We will determine your fee during the initial telephone call with our intake office.
How do I book an appointment?