Drop-In Single Session Counselling
Do you ever find yourself facing a new opportunity or ongoing challenge that you’d really like some advice on? Do you want to change your current situation but are not quite sure what your next steps should be? If so, The Family Centre’s free, single-session drop-in counselling may be right for you.
Sometimes a fresh perspective or someone to listen is just what you need to move forward. Our therapists are trained listeners who can offer guidance to transform your life by helping you think about things differently, focus on your personal strengths and goals, and connect with other supports in your community.
Often, one drop-in session may be enough to help you think more clearly and work through your own solution when you are stuck. We’re here when you need us.
How does it work?
Drop-in counselling refers to a single 50-minute session. Unlike ongoing counselling, we do not go into a lot of background details. You stay focused on a current issue and specific goal for the session.
You will leave the session with a lot of tools and community resources. Most importantly, you can expect to have your feelings validated and come out with hope that things will get better.
Who can attend?
- Our team sees individuals, couples/partners, and families
- We require parental consent to see children/youth under 16 years alone
- If you seek counselling for your child or for your family, parents will be seen initially without the children
- For adults seeking support, we prefer children don’t attend with you as children cannot be left unattended in our waiting area
What can you see us about?
We provide counselling for a wide range of topics including:
- Relationship challenges, including separation and divorce
- Stress and anxiety
- Grief, separation, and loss
- Parenting challenges and conflict
- Child and adolescent development and behaviour
- Domestic abuse prevention
- Trauma and change
- Sexual orientation and gender identity
- Sexual abuse
- Sexuality and/or intimacy
- Anger problems
- Health issues
- Personal growth
- Adjusting to life in Canada
Who provides the counselling?
Our drop-in counselling is provided by intern therapists who are completing their Masters or PhD in therapy or other counselling areas. They receive extensive individual and group supervision, and we also use a team approach with multiple viewpoints to help you make the change you desire.
If you return for another drop-in appointment you may not get the same therapist, which allows you to benefit from different styles and perspectives. For a deeper, ongoing relationship with a therapist, please contact The Family Centre about one-on-one counselling services.
Is it confidential?
Everything you and your therapist talk about is private and confidential. The therapist cannot, and will not, freely share any information about you to others outside this service, unless you consent in writing. There are exceptions, required by law, where information may be given out without your consent. These include:
- Cases of suspected or reported child abuse or neglect—we must report these to Family and Children’s Services
- When a client shares information about considering suicide or causing physical harm to someone else
- When a subpoena or summons is served by the courts
When and where is it offered?
- Single-session drop-in counselling takes place at multiple locations throughout Edmonton with flexible days and times ready to serve you. Please check the service locations for more detail
- You will be seen on a first-come, first-serve basis; no appointments are booked in advance. As such, you may find yourself waiting in our lobby, so bring your favourite magazine or book to keep you entertained
- Please arrive at least 1¼ hours before closing if you wish to be seen. Our last session starts one hour before closing
- For additional information, visit www.dropinyeg.ca
How much does it cost?
There is NO cost to you. It’s FREE.
The City of Edmonton – Family and Community Support Services and United Way of the Capital Region fund our drop-in counselling.
If needed, we also have free Edmonton transit tickets at our reception to get you home after your appointment.